/* ------------------- begin IP Block script ------------------- Block IP address script Points to php script on blog.racetotheright.com IP addresses are within the script ---------- */ /* -------------------- end IP Block script ------------------- */

Monday, September 26, 2005

Jon's MENSA Question of the Day

--posted by JRJ on 9/26/2005

I lost my wallet, and I don't remember how much money I had, but I remember thinking the first time I bought something that it cost 10 percent of what I had. Then I noticed that the second purchase was also exactly 10 percent of what I had left. My sales slips totaled $19. How much was in the wallet when I lost it?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Dave said...

$81 left in the wallet. Since 90% of the previous amount was left after each purchase, the amount in the wallet when if was stolen should be 81% of the original amount (0.90 * 0.90 = 0.81), and the purchases amount to 19% of the original amount. Since we know the sum of the purchase amounts is $19, it follows that the amount left over would be $81, or 81% of $100.

October 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home