/* ------------------- begin IP Block script ------------------- Block IP address script Points to php script on blog.racetotheright.com IP addresses are within the script ---------- */ /* -------------------- end IP Block script ------------------- */

Thursday, December 01, 2005

2006 Hall of Fame Ballot

--posted by Tony Garcia on 12/01/2005

(H/T: Martin Andrade)
The ballot for the 2006 induction into the Hall of Fame is out. Pete Rose did not make the list in his last year and I guarantee he won't be on the old-timers ballot any time in the future. My position on that has changed a bit. I no longer think it was harmless betting, but he should not be banished any more than Rafael Palmiero or Dwight Gooden or any player busted for anything forbidden by the rules of baseball. Flashbacks hitting me...the emery board incident, corked bats, THE pine tar incident.

On the list are the following players.
Rick Aguilera (1), Albert Belle (1), Bert Blyleven, Will Clark (1), Dave Concepcion, Andre Dawson, Gary DiSarcina (1), Alex Fernandez (1), Gary Gaetti (1), Steve Garvey, Dwight Gooden (1), Rich Gossage, Ozzie Guillen (1), Orel Hershiser (1), Gregg Jefferies (1), Tommy John, Doug Jones (1), Don Mattingly, Willie McGee, Hal Morris (1), Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Jim Rice, Lee Smith, Bruce Sutter, Alan Trammell, Walt Weiss (1), John Wetteland (1).

Who would I vote for? Before I add the links to the players stats and review those stats my 5 would be: Steve Garvey, Rich Gossage, Orel Hershiser, Don Mattingly and Bruce Sutter.

I will add those links later and give my Updated choice. Let the debates begin.

********** UPDATE **********
I did not know which players were first-year eligible. I have added a (1) after their names above.

Therefore I will have to reconsider my list of selectees. That will be coming soon.

3 Comments:

Blogger King said...

Tony, before anyone else we must undo the injustice to Blyleven. He is by far the best pitcher not in the HoF right now who can be still voted in. Tommy John and Jack MOrris are close but no cigar.

Of the remainder: None of the first timers get a vote from me. Lee Smith is better than any of the first-time closers, and he should get in. Sutter too. And if I have to pick only one of Hawk and Jim Ed, Dawson is the one. And I am a Red Sox fan. But my guess is those two and Mattingly are the current definition of what is tier II HoFers.

BTW, how does Hershiser get in on your ballot and not Gooden? Or is it just the drugs thing?

December 01, 2005  
Blogger Tony Garcia said...

After I put the links up I did a quick review of everyone's stats and I realized that my memory of some of the careers was not matching the stats. So I will be revising that list.

BTW, this is going to be a show topic on Sunday IF Marty comes in. He is pretty ill and without a huge recovery will not be on the air.

Hershiser vs Gooden: I think Hershiser's dominance was longer than Gooden's. Even when Hershiser was in Cleveland he was a dominant pitcher. Gooden was a flash in the pan.

I know it doesn't work this way, but I think if a player should have some type of superior performance in the playoffs (like "Bulldog's" 55 consecutive scoreless innings) that is an extra boost towards the Hall. On top of that, if a player in their late 30's/early 40's is still a highly productive player that should warrant a bit of a boost. Gooden was nither, Hershiser was both.

I am a Dodger fan, but I was in Germany for most of these guys careers. My knowledge of them is strictly what I heard on AFN radio or read in the Stars & Stripes, so there is a much diminished chance of bias. And Garvey in my mind is not a Dodger, he is a Padre...so no bias there.

Bly: that's debatable, king. I would put Tommy John and Jim Kaat in the same ballpark as Blyleven. Morris...I don't know that I would put him that high on the list.

The 5 picks are just reactionary. I will give more thought tonight.

Maybe the better exercise is to rank this ballot?

December 01, 2005  
Blogger King said...

I'd be delighted to debate Blyleven, Tony. You can't say he's not ahead of Tommy John or Jack Morris ... or even Orel Hershiser.

Yes, for the same reason Koufax is excused for a short career, an unprecedented performance like Hershiser's scoreless innings streak gets some cred with voters.

I lived in LA during the peak of Garvey's career. If he's put in the Hall ahead of Mattingly, there needs to be Congressional hearings.

December 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home